Thursday, January 14, 2010

Serena Rolls into Sydney Semi-final

Sydney (1/14) - Serena Williams survived a thriller to win a 3-6, 7-5, and 6-4 victory over tough Aravane Rezai in Medibank International. The world number one will face Russian Elena Dementieva in the final.

While Serena played a hard match, defending champion Dementieva dominantly beat Victoria Azarenka in easy straight sets, 6-3 and 6-1.

Rezai led 4-1 in the second set, but the Frenchwoman was nervous when serving for the match at 5-3. She created a double fault at 30-30, giving Serena her first break-point opportunity that became Serena's turning point.

"I was lucky to get through today, for sure," said Serena.

"I was trying to play my game and do the best that I could but I didn't do so well. I hit I don't know how many errors today, but I finally made a couple of shots."

In the men's singles, local favorite Lleyton Hewitt was mastered by 2006 Australian Open finalist, Marcos Baghdatis, 6-4, 2-6, and 3-6. Baghdatis will compete against American Mardy Fish who shattered Peter Luczak's dream of reaching semi-final. The Australian lost 6-7 (5) and 2-6.

In the other semi-final fixture, French Richard Gasquet will take on compatriot Julien Benneteau. Gasquet humbled Potito Starace 6-3, 7-6 (7) while Benneteau fought hard to conquer qualifier Leonardo Mayer 6-4, 6-7 (5), and 6-0.

picture by reuters
espnstar

No comments:

Post a Comment