Sunday, December 6, 2009

Three Titles in A Row

Johor Bahru - Perhaps Lee Yong-dae/Jung Jae-sung can be said as the most successful men's doubles pair in the last three tournaments. They won Super Series Finals title, following titles from Hong Kong and China last month, with a 21-15, 21-15 triumph over Carsten Mogensen and Mathias Boe of Denmark in 46 minutes.

Playing in the third match of the day, Yong-dae/Jae-sung played against Boe/Mogensen whom they defeated in China Open semi-final. In the first set, they chased each other's points as finally Yong-dae and Jae-sung left the Danish 15-12 and then took the first set 21-15.

In the second set, the world number three was 1-5 but they could equalize 8 all and left Boe/Mogensen 13-7 to win the second set 21-15 again.

Bright Yong-dae

Lee Yong-dae returns a shot

Lee Yong-dae, who shines in the last three tournaments with 3 men's doubles titles and one mixed doubles title, said, “I’m no superman. I’m very grateful that both my doubles partners (Jung Jae Sung in men’s and Lee Hyo Jung in mixed) are great partners.

“They have been great support and offered plenty of encouragement to me over these 2 years that has helped me to juggle playing in both doubles.”

Yong-dae did not play in mixed doubles because his partner Hyo-jung was injured. They were world number one mixed doubles pair.

Mew Choo Is Back

After two-year title drought, Malaysia's best women's singles player, Wong Mew Choo, conquered Juliane Schenk in easy two sets, 21-15 and 21-7, after fighting with injuries. She won 42 rallies and 10 smash winners to Schenk's 22 and 3.

“I am going to treat my teammates and coaches as they have been instrumental in helping my career,” said Mew Choo.

“Without their help, I will not be here today as they were pillars of support to me even when I was injured.”

Top Seeds' Victories

Top-seeded Joachim Fischer Nielsen/Christinna Pedersen of Denmark was crowned as mixed doubles winner as they humbled Indian Diju V and Jwala Gutta 21-14, 21-18 to receive $42,000 prize money.

“We will be playing at the Copenhagen Masters at the end of the month but winning the Masters Finals is a great way to end the season,” said Fischer Nielsen.

“It is a pity that some of the top pairs are not here but in today’s mixed doubles, there are seven to eight pairs who can win the title.

“I rate the Koreans (Lee Yong Dae-Lee Hyo Jung) as the best mixed doubles pair in the world right now and that is our aim – to beat them.”

World number five Wong Pei Tty/Chin Eei Hui maintained their women's doubles title as they prevailed over Danish Kamilla Rytter Juhl/Lena Frier Kristiansen 21-17, 21-14.

In the men's singles, top seed Lee Chong Wei, who plays in too many tournaments this year, beat Park Sung-hwan of Korea 21-17, 21-17. After the Super Series Finals, he will play in SEA Games.

No wonder he said, “But next year, I plan to be more selective in choosing the tournaments I want to compete in order to focus on major events.”

The defending champion also said: “After the Olympic Games in Beijing (2008), my form took a dip but I am very happy with the way the year has progressed.

“I’ve won six titles and now the Masters Finals title as well. As such, I am pleased with my performance.”


internationalbadminton.org
badzine.info

pictures by internationalbadminton.org and badzine.info

No comments:

Post a Comment