Thursday, January 15, 2009

Federer is Second Seeded in Aussie Open

Swiss tennis star Roger Federer believes he can still win a grand slam to equal Pete Sampras 14 grandslams winner record.

"I feel like I'm fit enough, motivated enough, experienced enough that I can win many more," he said.

He is also optimistic to win all four grand slams in one year, as what Rod Laver did in 1969.

Federer said that it is possible still, to be quite honest, because conditions have kind of slowed down."

"I don't think Wimbledon is that terribly fast any more and the US Open and the Australian Open feel pretty similar.

"If you are on top of things they can fall your way. Obviously you've got to win the Australian to start off with a chance but I think it is still possible," said Federer.

Federer now played in AAMI Classic, and won 6-3 3-6 7-6 (7-5) against Fernando Verdasco.

"I'll play enough tennis this week, it's better to be on the match court," he said. "The second set wasn't the best of levels, he was struggling with the sun and I couldn't capitalise."

Federer advanced to the final. He will face the winner of Friday's Promotion round match.

No comments:

Post a Comment